- Diffusion of knowledge
- Extension to professional acquaintances
- Pleasant reunions
- Stimulation of professional study and
- Consideration of advisability of trying to improve
the condition of state veterinary legislation
The first committees were: infectious
diseases, finances, education, and legislation. A
membership fee of $2.00 and dues of $1.00 were set.
Annual meetings were held in St. Paul until 1911 when rotation between Minneapolis and St. Paul began and continues until 1973 when the Radisson South Hotel became part of the rotation. After 1979, no meeting had been held in St. Paul until 2005. In 2006 the meeting moved to Duluth, where attendance was low, and back to Minneapolis for 2007-08. Early meetings included papers and demonstrations. More of the papers from the MVMA meetings were published in journals than from any other veterinary medical association in the country. At the end of a meeting, the next year's presenters were chosen.
Until the 1940s early meeting topics
focused on horses, cattle, swine and sheep. In 1943 the
annual meeting was extended to 3 days to accommodate the
inclusion of small animals sessions and papers. Public
health and regulatory sessions increased the meeting
days to four.
The business portion of the annual
meeting has taken many formats and time frames. In the
early days the business was sandwiched in between
sessions and before and after other meetings. Attendance
was low as people left for home rather than attend a
late business meeting that meant many business decisions
were made by just a handful of people. In 1970, the
business meeting was moved to a luncheon that was
included in the price of the meeting.
MVMA hosted AVMA national meetings in 1902, 1928, 1955, 1969, 1993 and last in 2005.
MVMA issued a Code of Ethics in 1911
and revised it in 1920, 1927 and 1942. The Code,
stressing professionalism, established rules for the
proper conduct of a veterinary practice in regard to the
public and fellow practitioners.
The day to day business of the Association was coordinated by the secretary-treasurer. In 1930 a committee was appointed to determine the need for an executive secretary position. The committee pointed out that to hire a full time executive secretary, it would be necessary to raise the dues to $25 a year. The first full time executive secretary was hired in 1970. Additional staff positions were added after 1986. Today the MVMA employs 3 full-time employees and one part-time employee.
The Academy of Veterinary Medical
Practice was formed in 1974 with 102 charter members.
The Academy developed guidelines for continuing
education credits and a vehicle for recording credits to
give credibility to veterinarians who furthered their
education with continuing education.
Organizational meetings for the
Auxiliary began in July, 1935. Membership was open to
wives, daughters, mothers and sisters of members of
MVMA. In 1936 the Auxiliary adopted the following
- To help the schooling of boys studying medicine,
worthy boys who are high in scholastic standing and
also are in need of financial aid to further this
- To interest wives of veterinarians inn furthering
publicity through this auxiliary.
- That each member should try to help raised funds
for the Auxiliary in any way she might favor.
The Student Loan Fund started by the
Auxiliary in 1976 to provide an emergency loan to
students continues today with MVMA.
The members of the Auxiliary voted to disband in February of 1999.
The MVMA gives recognition to people
making outstanding contributions to the veterinary
medicine or profession. The Veterinarian of the Year
Award, the highest honor given by the MVMA was given for
the first time in 1965.
The MVMA continues its tradition of offering ongoing continuing education. Seminars and clinics are offered throughout the year and the annual meeting has an emphasis on education. In 2001, the MVMA developed a large animal exhibit at the Minnesota State Fair. The Miracle of Birth Center is a great success and met its goals of education and promoting the veterinary profession. It continues it successful Surgery Suite also at the Minnesota State Fair. Veterinary volunteers make these two exhibits possible.
The MVMA publishes a number of timely brochures that are available to clinics and practices for a minimal cost. Additional services include a referral service to member veterinarians, and publication of a Radiology Manual.
Partnering with the College of
Veterinary Medicine, the MVMA plays a key role in the
White Coat Ceremony, the awards ceremony and sponsors a
Welcome Back Barbecue for returning students.
The MVMA office provides administrative support to the Minnesota Association of Veterinary Technicians, coordinating its biannual certification testing and credentialing. Administrative support is also provided to other constituent groups in various parts of the state and VET-PAC.
The MVM Foundation is a 501 (C)3 nonprofit that serves the philanthropic needs. The Foundation hosts an annual golf tournament and a silent auction and drawing during the annual meeting. Funds raised are used to provide scholarships at the College of Veterinary Medicine, accredited Minnesota technican schools and support to other organizations involved in animal agriculture or services.
MVMA continues to build on the
strengths of its past. The dedication of veterinarians
in their profession and their support of the Association
has enabled an increase in services, increased publicity
and contributed to the profession ranking very high in
the public's eye.